At this point, unless you have been living in a cave completely off the grid you have heard of the COVID-19 virus. This virus is impacting travelers and the travel industry like nothing else in history except possibly the World Wars. People’s vacations are being impacted or canceled, airlines are canceling flights and even the Walt Disney Company has closed all of the Disney Parks around the World.
I want to talk about the impact this disease will have on the industry as a whole. Travel in the U.S. and worldwide is taking a big hit with this virus. We all need to take a minute to think about what is happening to the employees of the cruise lines, theme parks, and airlines. I see them as the ones being impacted the most by the virus in the travel industry. So far companies like Disney say they are going to pay the workers during the closure, but many are wondering how long that will last.
I also wonder what it is like for the staff on cruise ships? With so many of them being from countries other than the United States and really relying on tips from guests to actually make any money. This has to be a stressful time for them.
Every airline in the world is going to be impacted by this also. Several U.S. Carriers have suspended flight to Europe, China, India and other locations around the World over concerns. This will cause an impact on their profit and loss statements for the quarter and yer. I know it will be hard to feel any sympathy for the companies with the way they treat most passengers like cattle and nickel and dime us to death. However, we need all of them to survive so there is healthy competition in the market place or I see our flying condition just getting worse
There is one thing we can do when all of the COVID-19 pandemics ends. We need to be ready to travel and spend money on our favorite travel destinations. All of the aid that will be flowing from all kinds of governments will be great, but what those s communities will really need is people to go there and tell others that they are open for business. It will not matter that it is a beach town, a theme park, cruise line, or a National Park what they will need is commerce.
In the meantime, there are things we need to do to help end this mess as quickly as possible. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends the following:
* Avoid close contact with sick people.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
* Wash with soap and water to destroy the virus. Wash your hands for at least 20 seconds.
* While an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol can be used, it’s best to reserve those resources for work locations where soap and water are not readily available.
* If your hands are visibly dirty, soap and water should be used rather than hand sanitizer.
* As always, it is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing or blowing your nose.
* Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
* The CDC does not recommend that people who are not sick wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19.
* Most importantly, stay home when you are sick in order to avoid exposing others.
If you do feel sick and have the symptoms below, call your doctor and see if you need to be tested.
The following symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure.*
- Shortness of breath
If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include*:
- Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
*This list is not all-inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
Finally a few resources:
If you must travel read the CDCs Coronavirus Disease 2019 Information for Travel page
If you live in a community like mine, where lots of people have bought up every last drop of hand sanitizer, my friend Alexa has the formula to make you own on her web site 52 Perfect Days
If you need to read about somewhere to go to to get away from all this check out this post on Guadalupe Mountains National Park